Preparation for Procedure
To prepare for a MRI scan, we ask that you follow the following guidelines:
- For a regular MRI exam, you can eat and drink as normal.
- You may take all prescribed medications.
- For certain MRI exams such as MRCP. MRAs of the abdomen and an MRI of the abdomen, pelvis and liver, please do not eat or drink anything (including water) 4 hours before the exam.
- Please do not wear any item that is metal – including watches, hair pins, hearing aids, eyeglasses and jewelry. Please also do not wear any clothing that does not contain metal buttons, snaps or zippers.
- If you are, or think you may be pregnant please let us know as an MRI is not generally performed on pregnant women.
- It is important to also inform us if you have metal implants or objects such as insulin pump implants, metal fillings, TENS units, pacemaker, vascular clips, etc.
What to bring and wear:
- Bring any previous MRI information with you.
- Bring your insurance cards, prescription and photo ID.
- Comfortable clothing that doesn’t contain metal buttons, snaps or zippers
Arrive on time:
- You should arrive at least 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment time.
- If you must cancel or reschedule, you need to do so at least 24 hours before your appointment.
Your MRI Scan:
- After registering, you will be given forms to complete.
- The MRI technologist will then review your medical history with you and explain what will happen during the procedure.
- During the procedure, you will be asked to lie still and not to move as any movement can cause blurring on the image.
- You will hear a loud knocking sound and feel some vibration, which is normal.
- Depending on the type of MRI scan, the procedure can take approximately 20 to 60 minutes.
- You can resume your normal diet and activities after the scan.
If you have any questions regarding your exam please give us a call at (201)-876-1111.